Sunday September 18, 2016, 1-4 pm
Come one, come all to the 6th annual Community Day! From 1-4 pm, Thomas Cole’s home and the galleries will be open free of charge, with activities for the whole family. Visitors can view the Main House, New Studio and special exhibitions. There will be live music, a storyteller, art activities, a giant architectural structure to make, and free refreshments will be served. Free admission.
A special feature of the annual Community Day is the exhibition “Postcards from the Trail”, with hundreds of paintings on view and for sale. Paintings are just $100 each for adult work, and $25 each for youth work. Come early for the best selection.
Scheduled Events & Activities
1–2 pm Live Music by the Coxsackie-Athens Community Band in the music tent
1-2 pm Q&A in the main tent with Rich Rappleyea, the New Studio builder
2-3 pm Live Music by Carmen Borgia & Alison Davy in the music tent
2:30 pm Live performance of StoryCrafters under the Main House
2–4 pm Q&A in the Main House with Margaret Saliske, the conservator restoring the decorative painting in the parlors
3-4 pm Live Music by Foggy Otis and the Hudson Dusters in the music tent
3 pm Q&A in the Main House with curator Kate Menconeri about the exhibition Nature Builds/We Cover by Jason Middlebrook
3:30 pm Live performance of StoryCrafters under the Main House
3:30 pm Raffle Drawing
4:00 pm Pick up your painting from the Postcards exhibition on the West Porch
Ongoing Events & Activities: 1-4 pm
- Enjoy free admission to the Main House, Old Studio, and New Studio.
- Buy a $100 painting at the Postcards from the Trail exhibition on the West Porch.
- See the exhibition Thomas Cole: The Artist as Architect in the New Studio.
- Discover the art installation by Jason Middlebrook in the Main House and on the lawn.
- Explore the “please touch” table in the Creative Process exhibition in the Main House.
- Grab a meal at Pippy’s Food Truck.
- Enjoy free cookies and lemonade at the Visitor Center.
- Do some shopping in the gift shop.
- Add to the giant cardboard architectural project.
- Test out our new free Audio Guide, funded by AT&T.
- Add some color to the Kids’ Mural Activity.
- Toss bean-bags in the bean-bag game. Play croquet.
- Take a selfie with a super-sized Thomas Cole.
- Draw a landscape using a Camera Obscura.
- Enter the raffle at the information table for a chance to win a prize.