Join Our Team
To work at the Thomas Cole National Historic Site is to be part of a team of excited and committed professionals, each with his or her own role to play in realizing our collective goals. Learn about our open employment opportunities below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Interim Development Associate
This is a full-time temporary position approx. March, April & May
The Thomas Cole National Historic Site (TCNHS) is seeking a temporary Development Associate (DA) to provide development operations coverage during the parental leave of our Development Operations & Data Manager. The DA is responsible for supporting all aspects of development operations supported by the Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge Donor Database System (RE). This is a full-time temporary position starting approximately March 11, 2024 or earlier and terminates on or before May 31, 2024. The length of employment may be extended by written authorization by both TCNHS and DA. The position will require approximately 37.5 hours per week, with a schedule and responsibilities that vary occasionally. This position reports to the Director of Advancement & External Affairs (DoA&EA). Duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversee organizational gift processing, including coding gifts for Accounting Department, entering gifts and pledges into database, and execute mailings related to acknowledgements, membership, and major donors.
- Administer and execute membership program including renewal letters, acknowledgement letters and membership materials emails/mailings.
- Track gift acknowledgements, work with DoA&EA and ED to determine custom acknowledgement needs, execute acknowledgement mailings/emails within one week of receiving the gift.
- Track outstanding pledges and produce pledge reminders as appropriate.
- In RE, produce mailing lists, email lists, queries, and exports while managing special exceptions that require personal attention from board members or staff.
- Assist with day of special events tasks and other development activities including but not limited to fundraising events and open houses.
- Update donor contact records with direction from ED & DoA&EA, including major donors. Add notes and actions to records in RE as needed.
- Additional duties as assigned
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 2-3 years of database administration with a non-profit organization. Raiser’s Edge a strong plus.
- Enthusiasm for Thomas Cole National Historic Site’s mission
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills with ability to manage several projects simultaneously and multi-task effectively.
- High level of attention to detail, accuracy and ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong collaboration skills with ability to work independently.
Location, Schedule and Compensation: TCNHS is located in Catskill, New York and this is a hybrid position requiring a minimum of two days per week in the office and additional days as required. This position is non-exempt with an hourly rate of $19.50.
How to Apply: In a single PDF document, please submit (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter explaining why you are qualified and interested in the position, and (3) contact information for at least three professional references via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Thomas Cole National Historic Site is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
Vaccination Policy: The Thomas Cole National Historic Site has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be considered and decided on a case-by-case basis according to New York State and Federal Law.
Part-time Bookkeeping Consultant
Reports to: Director of Finance and Administration (DFA)
Compensation: $30 – $40 per hour based on relevant experience
The bookkeeper is responsible for maintaining accurate and timely financial records for the organization. Position can be either in person or remote but preference will be given to local qualified candidates. Requires 2-6 hours per week. Essential functions and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Accounts Payable: On a weekly basis, record all payment transactions and issue payments, match credit card receipts and record transactions, follow up on missing receipts, balance petty cash. Follow up on stale check, voids and reissued payments as needed.
- Accounts Receivable: On a weekly basis, record all deposit records– weekly bank deposits, merchant services account, point of sales systems, daily cash receipts from Visitors Center transactions during open season.
- Payroll: On a bi-weekly basis, make payroll journal entries, reconcile quarterly payroll tax reports, keep records of w-9’s and file yearly 1096/1099’s, year-end payroll accruals.
- Investment Accounts: On a monthly basis, reconcile and record transfers, stock gifts transactions, gains/losses & interest.
- Reconciliations: Review bank activity on a weekly basis. In coordination w/ COO, follow up on unrecognized transactions. Perform monthly bank and credit card reconciliations, completing on a timely basis.
- Record incoming receivables, pledges, prepaids as needed. Maintain accurate records of open receivables and payables, adjust inventory on an annual basis.
- Make a schedule of and record year-end accruals, prepaids, deferrals etc. Record year-beginning accrual reversals.
- Prepare and file quarterly sales tax.
- Maintain electronic records for review by COO, Board Finance Committee and outside auditor.
- With support from the COO, maintain a familiarity with the organization’s chart of accounts and QB classes.
- Must have 2-5 years in non-profit bookkeeping experience with demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit accounting principles, recording daily online POS sales, accounts payable and receivable, and the creation of journal entries in a general ledger.
- Must have advanced knowledge of Quickbooks desktop and Microsoft environment (Outlook, Excel, Word) and apps such as Zoom
- Ability to work independently
- Keen attention to detail and the highest standards of accuracy and consistency
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be proactive and work effectively under strict deadlines
Application Instructions: In a single PDF document, please submit (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter explaining why you are qualified and interested in the position, and (3) contact information for at least three professional references via e-mail to email@example.com. References will not be contacted without applicant’s prior permission.
The Thomas Cole National Historic Site has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be considered and decided on a case-by-case basis according to New York State and Federal Law.
The Thomas Cole National Historic Site is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression), age, disability, or veteran status.
Staff photo by Adam T. Deen