Join Our Team
Executive Director Elizabeth B. Jacks and Curator Kate Menconeri
Working at the Thomas Cole National Historic Site is to be part of a team of excited and committed professionals, each with his or her own role to play in realizing our collective goals. There are several ways to become part of our operation, which are listed below. We look forward to welcoming you.
Now Hiring – Museum Educators
The Thomas Cole National Historic Site seeks part-time or full-time museum educators at the historic site from now through early November 2019. The work schedule is flexible. The position offers the opportunity to join a dynamic team at a beautiful historic site in Catskill, New York, in the scenic Hudson Valley. The position pays $11.10 per hour.
Essential functions and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Lead guided tours and facilitate self-guided experiences for visitors at the home and studios of Thomas Cole
- Act as the tour staff’s ‘go-to person’ on a rotating basis along with other educators to ensure daily tour operations are running smoothly. This includes tasks like writing/distributing a daily schedule, helping to manage unforeseen emergencies, and facilitating large group tours.
- Facilitate positive visitor experiences for site visitors, school groups, and other audiences in a confident and professional manner
- Lead activities at various events
- Provide back-up in the Visitor Center to cover lunches, and as needed
- Participate in regular group discussions to brainstorm innovative methods of historic site interpretation
- Work with the staff across departments on special projects as designated by the education manager
Qualifications: The position requires a natural ability and comfort with speaking in front of a group, a passion for learning about history, and the desire to communicate this knowledge and passion with others. The candidate must have a flexible schedule that allows for occasional weekend work, and be a team player that enjoys being with people and can handle many different kinds of situations with a smile. It is critical that the candidate be punctual, reliable, and responsible, as well as open to feedback and new ideas. The position requires moderate physical activity including climbing stairs and moving about the historic site in hot summers and cool spring and fall weather.
Please submit (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter explaining why you are qualified and interested in the position, and (3) contact information for at least three professional references via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now Seeking Interns
The Thomas Cole National Historic Site is now seeking interns to help with exhibition planning and events. The Summer/Fall season spans: June-October and the Winter/Spring season spans: March-May. All selected Interns work closely with staff and gain valuable, behind-the-scenes museum experience. Projects may include touring, exhibitions and research, collection management, development, event planning, and museum education and interpretation.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain in-depth experience for those looking to pursue a career in the museum field. Candidates with a passion for art, museums, history, and/or education are encouraged to apply. Academic credit can be arranged for students who complete a minimum number of hours per week, as determined by their college or other academic institution. Interns may work two to four days per week for a period of three to six months.
To Apply please email (PDF files only):
+ Letter of interest detailing your areas of interest
+ Current resume
+ Names and contact information for 3 references (professional or academic)